Frequently Asked Questions
- What are the Maritime Archives?
- What type of content can I find?
- How can I gain access?
- I am subscriber. How can I log in?
- What search options do I have?
- Can I use search operators?
- How can I perform phrase searches (multiword terms)?
- How is the hit list organized?
- Where can I find complete articles?
- I have further questions. Where can I get support?
1. What are the Maritime Archives?
The Maritime Archive database contains specialist articles from the trade journals Ship & Offshore and Schiff&Hafen. Set up in 1949, Schiff&Hafen today is one of the leading international trade journals for shipbuilding, shipping and marine technology. Shipbuilding engineers, experts and managers of shipping companies, ports, shipyards and maritime suppliers are informed on a monthly basis about the full range of modern shipbuilding technology, the latest innovations in engineering and naval technology, and shipping management. With the publication Ship&Offshore, which has been launched in 2009, the DVV Media Group offers in addition to the established brand Schiff&Hafen, a product family which presents specialist technical information for the global shipbuilding and offshore market. With a high degree of expertise eight English editions are published under the brand Ship&Offshore, giving information on the latest trends and developments from all areas in the maritime industry and presented with a focus on shipbuilding, marine engineering and offshore technology.
2. What type of content can I find?
The database contains specialist articles which have been published in Schiff&Hafen and Ship&Offshore since 2010. In March 2017 we added New Ships, the weekly premium information service of Ship&Offshore. It reports, in brief summaries, on the most important developments in the worldwide shipbuilding industry. As soon as new issues are published the database is updated.
3. How can I gain access?The site is available to everyone. You can perform searches and browse the hit list for a short description of the articles. If you belong to one of the following groups you can download the complete text of the articles (in the original layout of the magazine article):
- Subscribers of Schiff&Hafen: access to content of Schiff&Hafen and Ship&Offshore (subscribe Schiff&Hafen now)
- Subscribers of Ship&Offshore: access to content of Ship&Offshore (subscribe Ship&Offshore now)
- Subscribers of New Ships: access to all content (subscribe New Ships now)
- Subscribers von Maritime Archives Basic: access to content of Schiff&Hafen and Ship&Offshore (subscribe Maritime Archives now)
- Subscribers von Maritime Archives Premium: access to all content (subscribe Maritime Archives)
4. I am a subscriber – how can I log in?
As a subscriber you can use your subscription number in order to log in. You will find the subscripton number in your invoice as our order number.Please note: If your subscription number begins with the number “zero”, please omit the “zero” when entering your login. In case of login problems, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
5. What search options do I have?
The database search can be used like any other search engine (Google, Bing, Yahoo....). Just enter one or more search terms. Two or more terms are automatically linked with AND. In order to start your search hit enter on your keyboard or click the red search button. If you want to delete your previous search terms or parameters just click on the home button in the upper left corner of the website.
Author search function
If you click on the small triangle at the right end of the search field, the author search field will open up. All inputs browse only the author database. All hits which refer to the publications of a respective author will be shown. Please note that it is also possible to type your author search into the main search field. The result will show all hits in which the author's name is mentioned.
How to limit your search to one publication
You can find the field „publications“ below the search field. The standard set-up menu of this field considers “all” publications, which means that the search function browses all “Schiff&Hafen” and “Ship&Offshore” publications. If you click on the small triangle, a drop down menu will open up and you can narrow the search by selecting either “Schiff&Hafen” or “Ship&Offshore”.
How to narrow the timeline or the search period
You can find a drop down menu below the search field, where you can set up a timeline by entering “from” and “to”. You can determine a specific timeframe for your search by selecting month and year.
6. Can I use operators?
It is possible to enter (Boolean) operators. The following entries will be processed: AND, OR, NOT. Utilisation examples for queries with operators:
- Communication AND Data
- Drive AND (LNG OR Gas)
- LNG NOT diesel
7. How can I perform phrase searches (multiword terms)?
It is possible to search for phrases or multiword terms by using quotation marks. Phrases and multiword terms are expressions consisting of more than one word. Entry examples are:
- "Big Data"
- "Maritim 4.0"
- "butterfly valves"
Please note: If you set several expressions in quotation marks, you will get only results with exactly the same spelling and the same search term sequence.
8. How is the hit list organized?
As standard, the search engine arranges the answers in the hit list according to relevance. If you press the button “date” above the first hit, the sorting will be arranged chronologically, and you can choose between ascending order or descending order.
9. How can I find complete articles?
For each result an individual data record with a short description text will be displayed. For each article the respective metadata is embedded in the description text. After having entered the login data, you can press the button to launch the full text download of the article.
10. I have further questions. Where can I get support?
Please do not hesitate to contact our customer service info(at)@maritime-archives.com for any questions regarding the login. If you have any questions concerning our archive products, or if you would like to suggest improvements or provide feedback you are very welcome to contact archiv(at)dvvmedia.com.